It's been 9 months since our last Del Mar CRE update. Catching up, this one's a doozy. Some of the places will look familiar; that's because they are the same places that are still vacant more than a year after we first posted about them.
Remember Measure G, "The Garden," wherein Del Mar residents were asked to approve yet another strip mall? Well, here it is a year after voters approved it:
It turns out the developers didn't actually want to own another strip mall. They just wanted to build one and flip it to some greater fool. So now they are going to leave a vacant lot until someone pays them up front.
Which brings us to our next strip mall disaster, "4sale-lease.com," also known as 1201 Camino Del Mar. Remember this picture from October 2008? We commented on the open slots.
Here's what it looks like today:
A look at the catchily-named 4sale-lease.com web site reveals the problem. They are trying to get $4.00 - $4.80 per square foot, when one mile east on High Bluff and El Camino Real there is brand new, Class A office space with much better freeway accessibility going in the $1s and $2s.
The owner just wants out. He'd love to sell the property, even carry the note, even just sell you the building and lease you the land. I've got a better idea, Bozo. Why don't you cut your asking price to the market rate and fill it up first?
This is 1201 too.
This 1201 sign is applying for historical landmark status.
This is the English phone booth store next to Starbucks.
When you move in fast circles, you're bound to get some blurry shots.
This was Lululemon and an office.
And this sign from our October 2008 update is still there. Good thing they used all-weather paint and varnish!
Same booth still for rent. Know any lap-dancers who are looking?
And now we get to Del Mar Plaza. I didn't have time to go into the plaza (and there's that restraining order thing); the following pics are just the vacant stores on the ground level along Camino Del Mar.
Remember the Plaza's trick about painting over the windows to make it look like there's not really a vacant store there? It's back. This was the Medici Gallery, which sold art and furniture from estates.
The one on the left was a swimwear or sunglass shop that has moved upstairs (cheaper rent?). The one on the right was Java Kai, a poorly managed coffee shop. Signs indicate it's going to be some new cafe.
Java Kai again.
To top off this update, let's turn away from commercial and have a look at a Del Mar residential monstrosity. Some idiot bought the property at 155 27th Street (as a vacant lot or as a tear-down; I'm not sure which) for $2.75 million in 2005. They decided that what would fit right in at a Southern California beach was a house that looked like a Christmas-tree-themed church.
It went on the market for $6.995 million on 9/11, and has since been reduced to $5.87 million. All that for 3 bedrooms in a Christmas tree church. What kind of person has $6 million to blow, doesn't need more than 3 bedrooms, and wants to live in a Christmas tree church?
Thoughts of a radical libertarian Jeffersonian vegan militant bicyclist populist capitalist pig in San Diego navigating GD II... and friends.
- Audit the Fed
- Be John Galt
- Catherine Austin Fitts
- Daily Paul
- George Donnelly
- Gold Standard Now
- Jr. Deputy Accountant
- Life Inside the Bubble
- Of Two Minds
- Political Palaver
- Repudiate the Debt
- Richard Rider Rant
- Skeptical CPA
- Sovereign Man
- Stop Taxing Us
- Stumbling On Truth
- Teri Buhl
- The Double Standard
- Todd Seavey
- Washington's Blog
- Angry Future Expat
- Bearish News
- Calculated Risk
- Dr. Housing Bubble
- Exurban Nation
- Financial Armageddon
- Housing Doom
- Jesse's Cafe Americain
- Kliguy38 Great Depression 2
- Marin Real Estate Bubble
- Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis
- SoCal Bubble (Chuck Ponzi)
- Survival And Prosperity
- Zero Hedge
- Ace of Spades HQ
- Alarming News
- Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler
- Cruel Kevin's O'Connor Factor
- Doug Ross @ Journal
- Gay Patriot
- Informed Speculation
- Libertarianism from A to Z
- Misplaced News
- New Liberal Democrat
- PoliPundit ¡Nuevo! ¡Con mas Varones!
- Republican Liberty Caucus
- Right Click
- Stop Taxing US
- Stop the ACLU
- Taxpayer Watchdog Missouri
- The Nose on Your Face
- Western Rifle Shooters Association
- Wizbang (with Lorie Byrd)
- You're in the Right Place
- Bank Fail Friday
- Bayou Renaissance Man
- Be John Galt
- Before It's News
- Bill Gross
- Bowling Green is a Rip-off
- Bubbleinfo (Jim the Realtor)
- California Layoff Tracker
- Carrot and Potato Time
- Castle Coalition
- Catching the Nuances
- Charlie McDanger's Blog
- Cheryl Merrill Curses Edmond Wollman
- Clear Politics
- Commuting Capitalist
- Contrarian Chronicles
- Crazy in Suburbia
- Daily Job Cuts
- Daily Reckoning
- Decrepit Old Fool
- Doug Ross @ Journal
- Drug War Victims
- Encinitas Undercover
- Exuberant Accountant
- Eye on the U.N.
- FED Up USA
- Fillem and Billem
- Flip this Burger
- Get Rich Slowly
- Go Broke or Die Trying
- Goldman Sachs 666
- Green Mountains Homesteading
- Happy hour... somewhere
- Here we go
- Jesse's Café Américain
- John Lounsbury's Instablog
- Junto Boys
- Krugman in Wonderland
- Lee Distad's Professional Opinion
- Les Jones
- Les Jones
- Leucadia Blog
- Liberty Pulse
- Long or Short Capital
- Massless Particles
- Maxed Out Mama
- McDanger Media
- Mike Shedlock's Global Economic Trend Analysis
- My Yield Curve
- New Liberal Democrat
- Not One Cent
- Pension Tsunami
- Political Palaver
- Random Musings of a Tormented Mind
- Rhyme of the Day
- Seeking Alpha
- Shane Atwelll
- Skeptical Eye
- Social Security Choice
- Southern California Tax Revolt Coalition
- Stop the Housing Bailout
- Strategic Management Accounting
- Tammy Bruce
- The Leucadia Blog
- The Mess that Greenspan Made
- Vegan Blog Tracker
- Virtual Realities
- Vital Perspective
- When Giants Fall
- Wire Duck Records (Neal Fox)
WCV Greatest Hits
- ► 2012 (299)
- ► 2011 (530)
- ► 2010 (799)
- Hypovehiculated: Obama's young voters
- All I want for Christmas
- Huckabee's Body Count
- Bailouts: So hip, even Dubai can't resist.
- French weasel uses political influence to free chi...
- South Park Whale Whores
- Dead Tree Media and Climategate
- She'll make us famous!
- Happy Buy Nothing Day!
- Communist Body Count
- Happy Thanksgiving!
- Soul mates
- Mixed emotions
- Black Card cont'd...
- Greenspan's Body Count: census worker Bill Sparkma...
- Collectivization Watch?
- Armageddon Watch
- Liberal Policies = 3rd world in America
- Saturday Night Live is funny again!
- I'll make ya famous! SF Muni accident fraud
- Chicago's "End the Fed" Protest 11/22/09
- You've lost that loving feeling
- End the Fed roundup
- From the Past: A Parallel to the SEIU?
- Just say what you really feel...on a billboard?
- Patient trapped in a 23-year 'coma' was conscious ...
- End the Fed today!
- CNN: Global warming hoax? What global warming hoa...
- ClimateGate: Global Warming Hoax Exposed
- Timmy the Tax Cheat goes on the defensive on Capit...
- My new Facebook friend Lindsey Graham
- Dean of Harvard Medical School: ObamaCare sucks!
- CA seeks way out of "Statehood"? Wants to return t...
- Former Leftist Radical explains Obama's ilk and th...
- Only in San Francisco
- End the Fed -- San Francisco Protest, Sunday 11/22...
- Stimulus Fraud: Jobs "Saved or Created" in Congres...
- ObamaCare preview: No mammograms for women under 5...
- Obama meets with this man more often than anyone e...
- Obama to spend $10 Trillion on Welfare
- "What most folks call maturity, you and I might ca...
- Del Mar CRE update
- Football - Is there anything more Socialist?
- Glue-sniffer of the Year: Peggy Madura, West Coast...
- Sunday morning linkies
- Chicago: Workers' Paradise / Liberals' Dreams in a...
- Wrap your head around this
- TX Governor: Obama's depositing illegals into TX f...
- Yeah, and I'm the Pope
- More fun tenants
- Obama Intends to Purge Republicans From the Civil ...
- Tax Cheat Timmy - Liar or Moron?
- The signs were there; you should have bought conne...
- Life imitates art
- Gold above 1120
- Run, Lou, run!
- Silver linings: Susette Kelo vs. City of New Londo...
- America is the greatest; just ask our government
- Anita Dunn gets hypovehiculated
- Fed Says Unemployment to Remain High For Years
- Chicago Tribune exposes Obama's Fraudulent Stimulu...
- IPO the Fed!
- Tuesday morning linkies
- Now Google joins Obama's war against Fox News?
- Gold for the Long Run
- Greenspan's Body Count: Debra K. Gibbs and three p...
- More CalPERS disaster coverage
- The depths of Obama's budgetary depravity
- Your Obama stimulus at work
- So this is how liberty dies -- with thunderous app...
- New NY Democrat Congressman Owens reveals true sel...
- Your Department of Homeland Security at work
- Common ground
- That Evening Sun
- V online
- We're #1! And #2! Greenspan sucks
- Pelosi: buy ObamaCare insurance or go to prison fo...
- Greenspan's Body Count: Otis Beckford, victim of O...
- Fed Surrounded by FBI
- Unemployment 10.2%
- Pelosi lied; transparency died
- Protesters descend on Washington
- US to Renters - GFY!
- Remember, remember, the 5th of November
- Financial Coup explained: "This is so Soviet"
- Why Baseball Rules!
- Trey Grayson for Kentucky Senate
- "V" attacks Obama Nation
- Two out of three ain't bad
- Rand Paul leads Kentucky poll!
- Treasury Dept. uses Phone-a-Friend Lifeline
- Gold gone wild!
- Election day
- LA Times: California sucks!
- Dia de los Muertos 2009
- Kids these days
- Cash for golf carts
- Sunday morning links
- One year ago today
- ▼ November (101)
- ► 2008 (727)
- ► 2007 (554)
- ► 2006 (504)
- ► 2005 (547)