$10 Trillion? Can anyone say, "Cloward-Piven Strategy"?
This from CNS news via LancasterOnline.com.
CNSNews.com) – As a candidate for president, Barack Obama decried the financial toll that the Iraq war was taking on the economy, but Obama's proposed spending on welfare through 2010 will eclipse Bush's war spending by more than $260 billion.
"Because of the Bush-McCain policies, our debt has ballooned," then-Sen. Barack Obama told a Charleston, W.V., crowd in March 2008. "This is creating problems in our fragile economy. And that kind of debt also places an unfair burden on our children and grandchildren, who will have to repay it."
During the entire administration of George W. Bush, the Iraq war cost a total of $622 billion, according to the Congressional Research Service.
President Obama's welfare spending will reach $888 billion in a single fiscal year--2010--more than the Bush administration spent on war in Iraq from the first "shock and awe" attack in 2003 until Bush left office in January.
Obama's spending proposals call for the largest increases in welfare benefits in U.S. history, according to a report by the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank. This will lead to a spending total of $10.3 trillion over the next decade on various welfare programs. These include cash payments, food, housing, Medicaid and various social services for low-income Americans and those at 200 percent of the poverty level, or $44,000 for a family of four. Among that total, $7.5 trillion will be federal money and $2.8 trillion will be federally mandated state expenditures.
In that same West Virginia speech last year, Obama said, "When Iraq is costing each household about $100 a month, you're paying a price for this war."
The Heritage study says, "Applying that same standard to means-tested welfare spending reveals that welfare will cost each household $560 per month in 2009 and $638 per month in 2010."
The welfare reform package of 1996 only targeted one program, which was Aid for Families with Dependent Children, pushing work requirements for recipients to encourage them to get off the rolls. There are still 70 different welfare programs spread across 14 different federal agencies, said Robert Rector, senior research fellow in domestic policy studies at the Heritage Foundation, who co-wrote the study.
"The average person says I thought we ended welfare. Well, it's a good thing we ended it, otherwise we'd be spending some real money," Rector joked while speaking about the report on Tuesday. "Reform was grossly oversold by Clinton and the Republicans. It reformed one program out of 70. Medicaid, public housing, the Earned Income Tax Credit were not reformed."
According to his White House budget proposal, President Barack Obama will increase annual federal welfare spending by one-third, from $522.4 billion to $697 billion in his first fiscal year. Adjusted for inflation, the combined two-year increase of $263 billion is greater than any increase in welfare spending in history.
By 2014, annual spending on welfare programs will reach $1 trillion for the fiscal year.
“One in seven in total federal and state dollars now goes to welfare. But this is a completely unknown story,” Rector said. “This is not being reported. No one knows Obama is spending $10 trillion on welfare.”
Welfare spending has taken its toll on the federal debt. Since the beginning of the “war on poverty,” $15.9 trillion has been spent on welfare programs. The total cost of every war in American history, starting with the American Revolution, is $6.4 trillion when adjusted for inflation.
Welfare has been the fastest growing part of the federal government’s spending, increasing by 292 percent from 1989 to 2008. That’s compared to Social Security and Medicare, which grew 213 percent, the study says.
Adjusted for inflation, welfare is 5 percent of the gross domestic product today. It was only 1.2 percent of GDP in 1965, the report says. Also, over the next decade, $1.5 trillion in welfare benefits will be paid to low-skilled immigrants.
Still, high levels of poverty are reflected by the U.S. Census Bureau because the bureau counts only 4 percent of the total welfare spending as income when it calculates poverty. Thus, most discussions on poverty begin on the virtual premise that welfare does not exist, the study says.
“None of the $800 billion being spent is counted as income, so the Census comes back and they say, ‘Oh my goodness, we have 40 million poor people. We need to spend more money,’” Rector explained. “That is a game the taxpayer can never win.”
Changing how the money is spent could go a long way in achieving better results, the study says.
“Annual means tested welfare spending is more than sufficient to eliminate poverty in the United States,” the study reports. “If welfare spending were converted into case benefits, the sum would be nearly four times the amount needed to raise the income of all poor families above the official poverty line.”
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
- Audit the Fed
- Be John Galt
- Catherine Austin Fitts
- Daily Paul
- George Donnelly
- Gold Standard Now
- Jr. Deputy Accountant
- Life Inside the Bubble
- Of Two Minds
- Political Palaver
- Repudiate the Debt
- Richard Rider Rant
- Skeptical CPA
- Sovereign Man
- Stop Taxing Us
- Stumbling On Truth
- Teri Buhl
- The Double Standard
- Todd Seavey
- Washington's Blog
- Angry Future Expat
- Bearish News
- Calculated Risk
- Dr. Housing Bubble
- Exurban Nation
- Financial Armageddon
- Housing Doom
- Jesse's Cafe Americain
- Kliguy38 Great Depression 2
- Marin Real Estate Bubble
- Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis
- SoCal Bubble (Chuck Ponzi)
- Survival And Prosperity
- Zero Hedge
- Ace of Spades HQ
- Alarming News
- Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler
- Cruel Kevin's O'Connor Factor
- Doug Ross @ Journal
- Gay Patriot
- Informed Speculation
- Libertarianism from A to Z
- Misplaced News
- New Liberal Democrat
- PoliPundit ¡Nuevo! ¡Con mas Varones!
- Republican Liberty Caucus
- Right Click
- Stop Taxing US
- Stop the ACLU
- Taxpayer Watchdog Missouri
- The Nose on Your Face
- Western Rifle Shooters Association
- Wizbang (with Lorie Byrd)
- You're in the Right Place
- Bank Fail Friday
- Bayou Renaissance Man
- Be John Galt
- Before It's News
- Bill Gross
- Bowling Green is a Rip-off
- Bubbleinfo (Jim the Realtor)
- California Layoff Tracker
- Carrot and Potato Time
- Castle Coalition
- Catching the Nuances
- Charlie McDanger's Blog
- Cheryl Merrill Curses Edmond Wollman
- Clear Politics
- Commuting Capitalist
- Contrarian Chronicles
- Crazy in Suburbia
- Daily Job Cuts
- Daily Reckoning
- Decrepit Old Fool
- Doug Ross @ Journal
- Drug War Victims
- Encinitas Undercover
- Exuberant Accountant
- Eye on the U.N.
- FED Up USA
- Fillem and Billem
- Flip this Burger
- Get Rich Slowly
- Go Broke or Die Trying
- Goldman Sachs 666
- Green Mountains Homesteading
- Happy hour... somewhere
- Here we go
- Jesse's Café Américain
- John Lounsbury's Instablog
- Junto Boys
- Krugman in Wonderland
- Lee Distad's Professional Opinion
- Les Jones
- Les Jones
- Leucadia Blog
- Liberty Pulse
- Long or Short Capital
- Massless Particles
- Maxed Out Mama
- McDanger Media
- Mike Shedlock's Global Economic Trend Analysis
- My Yield Curve
- New Liberal Democrat
- Not One Cent
- Pension Tsunami
- Political Palaver
- Random Musings of a Tormented Mind
- Rhyme of the Day
- Seeking Alpha
- Shane Atwelll
- Skeptical Eye
- Social Security Choice
- Southern California Tax Revolt Coalition
- Stop the Housing Bailout
- Strategic Management Accounting
- Tammy Bruce
- The Leucadia Blog
- The Mess that Greenspan Made
- Vegan Blog Tracker
- Virtual Realities
- Vital Perspective
- When Giants Fall
- Wire Duck Records (Neal Fox)
WCV Greatest Hits
- ► 2016 (67)
- ► 2015 (57)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (230)
- ► 2012 (299)
- ► 2011 (530)
- ► 2010 (799)
- Hypovehiculated: Obama's young voters
- All I want for Christmas
- Huckabee's Body Count
- Bailouts: So hip, even Dubai can't resist.
- French weasel uses political influence to free chi...
- South Park Whale Whores
- Dead Tree Media and Climategate
- She'll make us famous!
- Happy Buy Nothing Day!
- Communist Body Count
- Happy Thanksgiving!
- Soul mates
- Mixed emotions
- Black Card cont'd...
- Greenspan's Body Count: census worker Bill Sparkma...
- Collectivization Watch?
- Armageddon Watch
- Liberal Policies = 3rd world in America
- Saturday Night Live is funny again!
- I'll make ya famous! SF Muni accident fraud
- Chicago's "End the Fed" Protest 11/22/09
- You've lost that loving feeling
- End the Fed roundup
- From the Past: A Parallel to the SEIU?
- Just say what you really feel...on a billboard?
- Patient trapped in a 23-year 'coma' was conscious ...
- End the Fed today!
- CNN: Global warming hoax? What global warming hoa...
- ClimateGate: Global Warming Hoax Exposed
- Timmy the Tax Cheat goes on the defensive on Capit...
- My new Facebook friend Lindsey Graham
- Dean of Harvard Medical School: ObamaCare sucks!
- CA seeks way out of "Statehood"? Wants to return t...
- Former Leftist Radical explains Obama's ilk and th...
- Only in San Francisco
- End the Fed -- San Francisco Protest, Sunday 11/22...
- Stimulus Fraud: Jobs "Saved or Created" in Congres...
- ObamaCare preview: No mammograms for women under 5...
- Obama meets with this man more often than anyone e...
- Obama to spend $10 Trillion on Welfare
- "What most folks call maturity, you and I might ca...
- Del Mar CRE update
- Football - Is there anything more Socialist?
- Glue-sniffer of the Year: Peggy Madura, West Coast...
- Sunday morning linkies
- Chicago: Workers' Paradise / Liberals' Dreams in a...
- Wrap your head around this
- TX Governor: Obama's depositing illegals into TX f...
- Yeah, and I'm the Pope
- More fun tenants
- Obama Intends to Purge Republicans From the Civil ...
- Tax Cheat Timmy - Liar or Moron?
- The signs were there; you should have bought conne...
- Life imitates art
- Gold above 1120
- Run, Lou, run!
- Silver linings: Susette Kelo vs. City of New Londo...
- America is the greatest; just ask our government
- Anita Dunn gets hypovehiculated
- Fed Says Unemployment to Remain High For Years
- Chicago Tribune exposes Obama's Fraudulent Stimulu...
- IPO the Fed!
- Tuesday morning linkies
- Now Google joins Obama's war against Fox News?
- Gold for the Long Run
- Greenspan's Body Count: Debra K. Gibbs and three p...
- More CalPERS disaster coverage
- The depths of Obama's budgetary depravity
- Your Obama stimulus at work
- So this is how liberty dies -- with thunderous app...
- New NY Democrat Congressman Owens reveals true sel...
- Your Department of Homeland Security at work
- Common ground
- That Evening Sun
- V online
- We're #1! And #2! Greenspan sucks
- Pelosi: buy ObamaCare insurance or go to prison fo...
- Greenspan's Body Count: Otis Beckford, victim of O...
- Fed Surrounded by FBI
- Unemployment 10.2%
- Pelosi lied; transparency died
- Protesters descend on Washington
- US to Renters - GFY!
- Remember, remember, the 5th of November
- Financial Coup explained: "This is so Soviet"
- Why Baseball Rules!
- Trey Grayson for Kentucky Senate
- "V" attacks Obama Nation
- Two out of three ain't bad
- Rand Paul leads Kentucky poll!
- Treasury Dept. uses Phone-a-Friend Lifeline
- Gold gone wild!
- Election day
- LA Times: California sucks!
- Dia de los Muertos 2009
- Kids these days
- Cash for golf carts
- Sunday morning links
- ▼ November (101)
- ► 2008 (727)
- ► 2007 (554)
- ► 2006 (504)
- ► 2005 (547)